Monday, June 24, 2013

a mom memory

I'm thinking of my mom these days.  Every day, really.  I miss her. 

We all miss her.  It's our first summer without her.






In 1978, for my birthday, she sent me a card, a card that I have safely tucked away between pages of my Gardner's Art Through the Ages, except for now.  It's right here in my hands, her lovingly handwritten and thoughtful words are right here with me now.  I can even hear her voice:

"Sari Dearest - 
          
          Wishing you a happy birthday!  Will be thinking of you with all of our love on your day.

          We saw this print - and remembered that Winslow Homer is one of your very favorite artists.  Also - this particular work reminded me of the many times I held you just like this while we waited for Dad's ship to come home.  Do you remember those times at all? - or were you too little?

          . . . It is Sunday morning - a beautiful day.  We are going to play golf this afternoon.  Dad worked hard yesterday - fertilized the garden et al - The mallards arrived on the pond a week or so ago.  Lark is napping in the sun along the front wall of the barn as he usually does at this time of day . . .

"Dad's Coming!"
Winslow Homer
1873

I was away at school and far from home when I received the card, and I missed her, although being far away at that time in my life was good for me.  I had some growing up to do.  This card meant so much to me in that moment, and I've saved it and rediscovered it many times over the years.  In that moment in 1978 I was back snuggling in her arms as she softly sang, "When you're smiling, when you're smiling, the whole world smiles..."  I go to that place again these days as I think of my mom and my own daughters.  So much love.  


family dinner (me in the foreground)


Mom and Dad ( a young Officer) just starting out
My mom then continues to write:

". . . Will turn this over to Dad now - "
(uh - uh - )

". . . Work hard, Honey - and the good times will bring you that much more pleasure.  Love you - Mom    xxx
(oh, reality . . . here it comes . . .)  

Dad, the pragmatist:

"Hi:

Hope that you have a fine birthday and that you are having a fine school year.  We are all so very happy that spring is spranging and sprunging into being so I can begin to worry about the yard, muck in the manure, stride among the sticks, and gambol in the gardens.  Hang in there and do not let the spring fever take over your being too much.  By the way - (oh no!  don't bring up . . .!!!) please send me a listing of your grades (GRADES!) for last semester, (aaargh) and your predictions as to what they are now. (whimper)

Love you and are looking forward to seeing you soon.  Dad



love you too Dad
miss you

oh, and Dad - I'm back in graduate school and I have straight A's.  

Mom, thanks for the card.

3 comments:

  1. Your posting of your parents' card to you really highlights their voices. It's amazing with the postcard and old photos and the link to art your mom talks about that you're also developing in your blog. I've been enjoying the paintings you're writing about a lot. Ant the links between paintings and what you see in Southwest Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. I'm enjoying finding the connections - and making connections.

      Delete
  2. My favorite picture is the last one of your dad. It reminds me of my own father. Thanks for sharing these memories!

    ReplyDelete